Friday, April 22, 2011

Pardon me, Pet Please...

For those of you lucky enough to have spent any time around a cow you know how cool they can be. "Pardon" is our young heifer whom we rescued last Thanksgiving, and over the last few months we have had a grand time trying to tame her and teach her how to be a "pet" cow.

This morning my dad snapped this pic of Pardon getting her morning rubs (yes that's me in my barn clothes. Don't laugh). I love that she loves getting loves. :)

I thank God every day for Pardon. She has been such a blessing to our family (and my garden), and I am so grateful that He let us be the people to rescue her.

She has been a real calming force over my horses, she provides great manure for my garden, and has given our friends and family all something to talk about and fawn over.

Everyone should know what it's like to pet a cow.

3 comments:

  1. And she is officially adorable.

    Got my tomatoes, okra, squash, eggplant, & herbs in. And I have a source for manure tea now. I'm asking for a rain barrel for Mother's Day, and my compost is looking ... okay.
    What can you suggest to speed up the decay process? I flip it weekly, and there are lots of earthworms enjoying themselves, but still very 'leafy'. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you can always buy a composting agent, usually sold at garden centers. It has lots of microbes and stuff in it. You can also take a few big scoops of completed compost and add that.

    If your compost pile is a free standing pile, cover it with compostable garden cloth, which you can get at Home Depot or Lowes. It's the weed block type made from corn. The black color of the cloth will heat up your pile and help cook it down.

    Works great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. The garden cloth is a great idea for winter too.
    Haha... captcha code is 'unfliest'... as in, I hate the flies!

    ReplyDelete