Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Summer happenings

Well Summer is waning, slowly, and we are now starting planting for Fall. I read today that we will have an extended warm period in the Southeast, followed by abnormally cool temps, so this is going to create some problems with crops that need 2-3 months of coolish Fall weather. I am planning on going through seeds tomorrow to restrategize my game.

At the moment I am harvesting the last of my Summer produce, concord grapes. I have 3 vines, 2 white concord and one purple. The white started fruiting last year, and doubled the harvest to a little over 3 bushels this year. The purple took a bit longer to sweeten, almost a month. Not sure if that's normal, but it was an entire year behind the others in production, so could just be variety.

Aren't they pretty to look at? Interesting factoid: The grey powdery coating on grapes is yeast. This is the natural yeast responsible for fermenting wine. It is also a good yeast for making a true sourdough starter. Just throw a couple of grapes into your starter for a couple of days, then remove them. Et VOILA!

On another note, for those who have been following her story, I have finally found a permanent home for Pardon. I have made a new friend who owns a small private dairy, and she has agreed to take Pardon into her herd. We are working this week to get Pardon ready to ship. I still have to get a halter on her, but other than that I think she will be a neat addition to their farm. Please wish her well in her new adventure. We will miss her, but she will only be 10 minutes away if we want to go visit. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment